Sunday, February 15, 2009

No more bun(dt)s for now...

A couple of months ago, i went to my favourite place, Pantry Magic, at HV, with a sole purpose; to purchase a beautiful deep blue silicone bundt mold which i have had my eye on for the past year. The reason why i haven't bought it earlier is because of a previous attempt which left a deep gashing wound in my side. Ok ok i exaggerate but felt similar to that. 

Take a walk with me down memory lane to 2 years ago, i had an urge to bake a chiffon cake which is essentially a bundt cake except it is much lighter but still has its trademark hole in the middle. Anyway, i decided to make a lemon chiffon cake with a conventional chiffon tin. It was a total wipe out, catastrophic, thermonuclear FAILURE! Firstly, when i inverted the cake, the middle portion got stuck on the tube of the tin, thus causing only 3/4 of the cake to detach from the tin. One thing you need to know about me is that i am a perfectionist. I demand the look and the taste to be perfect. When this does not happen, i get extremely angry with myself, it doesn't matter if that was my first attempt. So, obviously at this point in time, this is not looking good. Fortunately, nobody was near me when this happened because i was emitting copious amount of 'steam' from my ears! Secondly, the glaze that i made to be drizzled over the cake was so sour, it ruined the entire cake!

Fast forward to the present, i finally decided to attempt to make a bundt cake, thinking that the same thing would not be repeated since it has been said NOTHING sticks to silicone. Fine, i thought, this is going to turn out great! I decided to bake a walnut and chocolate bundt cake, drizzled with a chocolate glaze. Sounds yummy doesn't it? I followed the recipe to a T. As i took the bundt mold out of the oven, due to the flexibility of the silicone mold, the cake started to look like it was going to split. I quickly place it on the table, hoping it would get structurally stronger when it cools down.

15 minutes later, placing a cooling rack over the bundt mold and inverting it, i carefully tried to get the cake out of the mold. I thought the entire cake came out fine since nothing sticks to silicone right?? WRONG!! 1/4 of the cake was stuck onto the mold thus ruining the entire shape of the cake!!

So, here i am, posting pictures of the beautiful blue silicone bundt mold instead of the bundt cake because it is absolutely too embarrassing to be seen. Please use your imagination when eating the bundt cake tomorrow and picture what it would have looked like perfect. I think i would retire my bundt mold till another time, when i feel strong enough again to attempt this. In the meantime, it will always be my Achilles heel.


No comments: